THE PÄRNU FILM FESTIVAL
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUBMISSION AND SCREENINGS
The length of films for the competition is not limited.
In terms of screenings at other festivals, and earlier awards, there are no restrictions for the submission. In terms of years of production, and dates of first public screenings, there are no restrictions.
Films which have not been selected for competition may be shown in the information program of the festival.
Films can be screened at the festival only in case if they have commentary, dialogue or subtitles in English.
The Pärnu Film Festival accepts the following screening formats as
files with full HD resolution: mov, avi, mp4, DCP.
Presentation of other formats and video systems requires the authorization of the festival.
ENTERING YOUR DOCUMENTARY
The early deadline (with a submission fee of 5 euros) is March 1, 2024.
The final deadline (with a submission fee of 15 euros) is June 1, 2024.
PÄRNU FILM FESTIVAL MUST RECEIVE:
- a) A completed entry form (available on our homepage)
On the entry form, please provide detailed information of the film and add the synopsis.
- b) Preview screener in file format or as an online link. Submitted film must have a voice-over or dialogue or subtitles in English.
The e-mail address for sending video files, links and other submission
materials is firstname.lastname@example.org
ATTENDING THE FESTIVAL
The festival is a low budget non-profit event and does not pay screening fees.
All authors of film nominees for prizes, they are invited to attend the festival in person and will be provided with a nice hotel in Pärnu, the summer capital of Estonia.
The festival covers travel costs for filmmakers in very extra cases only.
SELECTION PROCEDURE AND FOLLOW-UP
The festival team selects docs that will participate in the festival program. In case of a film being selected, the festival will notify the applicant of the film (who submitted the entry form) by August 1, 2024 at the latest.
After the selection, the following materials must be sent to the festival by September 1st, 2024:
* Two high-resolution film stills or 2 photos of the film (full-colour, resolution of 300 dpi, preferably in JPG format).
* The dialogue list in English for the translation.
The e-mail for sending the required materials is: email@example.com
After the selection of a documentary, the festival has rights to:
* Screen the film at the festival theatres during the festival dates as many times as the team of festival has decided.
*Use a maximum of 2 minutes of video from the doc or the trailer for advertising of the festival.
* Use the publicity material of the selected film (electronic press kit, press books, posters, stills, etc.) to promote the festival.
* Archive the doc for non-circulating reference and educational purposes.
* After the festival, the selected films may be screened at the ‘Pärnu FF on Tour’ for free.
This selection of festival films could be screened after the festival in a limited number of Estonian theatres if these screenings are free to the public.
JURIES AND AWARDS
The festival team will nominate the jury members, who are outstanding filmmakers and professionals in the field from different countries.
The festival prizes are authentic ethnic handicrafts of recognized Estonian masters.
Main prizes (Estonian People’s Award and Grand Prize) are handwoven ethnic wedding blankets from the West Coast of Estonia.
There are 5 categories of competition:
COMPETITION ON ESTONIAN TELEVISION:
During the festival, five outstanding documentaries will be broadcast on Estonian TV. The TV-audience will vote for the best film to be awarded with the ESTONIAN PEOPLE’S AWARD.
The award ceremony will take place on Sunday, 13th of October 2024.
INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY COMPETITION:
- Grand Prize of the festival to the best artistic achievement
- To the best film about survival of indigenous peoples
- To the best scientific audiovisual recording
- To the best short documentary
- To the best art doc.
Decisions will be made by the international jury, invited by the team of the festival.
DOCS FOR KIDS:
- To the best documentary for children
Jury members are children of Pärnu
DOCS BY STUDENTS
- To the best student doc
Decision makers are students of the BFM (Baltic Film and Media School)
NATIONAL DOCUMENTARY COMPETITION:
- To the best Estonian documentary
Members of the jury are foreign filmmakers attending the festival.
Juries may grant additional Special Awards and Special Mentions.
All decisions made by the festival team and juries are final.
The submission and participation of documentaries imply acceptance of the regulations of the festival.
COMPLETING ENTRY FORM
Before submitting an entry form to the Pärnu Film Festival please read through the festival regulations!
By submitting the entry form you accept the festival regulations.
If the documentary does not meet all the requirements mentioned above it will not be eligible for selection.
All materials, as well as correspondence, should be addressed to the Pärnu Film Festival, Rüütli Str. 40a, Pärnu 80010, Estonia.
Other contacts of the festival:
Tel +372 5024947